John 6:35 Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty.”
I’ve been chewing on this verse for several months now, and still getting spiritual food from it. It’s been a guiding principle in our life change.
Jesus is the Bread from Heaven. The folks were asking, “Hey, Moses gave us bread in the desert, What are you going to do for us?” [Jesus just fed a grip of them from a few loaves the day before. It seems like they’re hungry for more].
Exodus 16 gives us the reference: “Then the LORD said to Moses, “I will rain down bread from heaven for you. The people are to go out each day and gather enough for that day. In this way I will test them and see whether they will follow my instructions.”
Here’s what I’m learning:
- The Israelites were given a daily portion of bread. If they tried to gather too much, it would rot and turn to maggots.
- Jesus is the Bread from Heaven [manna].
- I need to ‘eat his flesh and drink his blood’ DAILY.
- Most of my anxiety and fear lately is from not knowing the future. I want to know what’s coming. Jesus is simply telling me to feast on Him for today. I can’t gather faith [our spiritual bread] for tomorrow, next week or next year. The faith He gives me is for today and today only. I can’t pull from yesterdays food storage. There is no such thing. Yesterdays food is gross. I need food TODAY.
- I can’t worry about tomorrow [Matthew 6:25: worry is bad. faith is good]
The verse I read this morning was Col 3:1-3
1 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is,seated at the right hand of God. Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth.3 For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God.
What I’m learning is this:
- When I spend my time worrying about my mortgage, my job, clothes, food, normal good things that I need; my focus is on things here on earth. I am eating ‘natural bread’
- Christ has called me to LOVE HIM above all these things. I am to seek Heavenly things, namely, JESUS CHRIST the Son of God and my relationship to Him should consume my mind. This is my ‘Spiritual Bread’
- The ‘world’ is contrary and opposed to this way of thinking.
- I need to fight to keep my mind on Him. It does not come naturally. [James 1:21- Get rid of moral filth., Rom 12:2- Be transformed by the renewing of your mind]
- This journey is my fight to love Him with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength.
What do you all think? What do you do to engage in this battle?