Update from May Work Party
Super awesome huge thank you to all who came, wanted to come, prayed, thought about praying, or anything else related to the 810 Project. We made great progress and are almost done with Phase 1: the Teardown. Phase 2: the Rebuild will begin by June. It’s a great time of transition with school coming to a close, our family moving again, and sunshine sporadically peeking through the clouds.
For those that missed it, here are some photos from our last Work Day party. We got the downstairs kitchen and bathrooms ripped out, the garage cleaned out, and the upstairs kitchen/bathrooms almost complete.
1 Samuel 14:6~ “Come, let’s go over to the outpost of those uncircumcised men. Perhaps the Lord will act in our behalf. Nothing can hinder the Lord from saving, whether by many or by few.”
I’ve been challenged in my faith to trust in the Lord with EVERYTHING. [by everything, I mean everything]. This project has been depressing at times. I think about the North Side. About it’s reputation for murder and depression and depravity. I think about my kids safety. I think about the fact that I’m a white dude from the sticks with really not much in common with the people we are moving towards. I think about how so many others are already doing something, and what difference would my life make anyway? I think what I’m doing won’t matter.
Then I think about Jonathan. Nothing can hinder the Lord from saving….by many or by few. If this is the Lord’s initiative, then It’s going to be awesome. If it’s mine, it’s probably going to suck. In either case, I’m moving forward in faith, trusting that God will teach me and hold my hand through all this.
As we look forward to Phase 2, here’s a list of stuff we are still asking God to provide. If you know anyone who could help, send them our way!
- A plumber! (all the copper was stolen. I’m not sure where to start with nothing in place. help?!)
- Electrician! (much of the wiring is very old. We could use help/advice on how to proceed with it)
- tools: my tools were stolen. I bought hammers, but could use another circular saw, miter saw, drill, ect.
- Attitudes: we really need prayer to keep our heads up. It’s a back and forth battle to stay positive at times, but we really do feel your prayers. Thank you!
- Fruit: as phase 2 begins, we want to be more intentional about being a witness and forming relationships with the neighbors. Pray for ‘a man of peace’ in the neighborhood that will help us spread the good news and be a bridge to the neighborhood.