JESUS IS AMAZING:
As I was reviewing the past year in preparation for this newsletter, I am completely overwhelmed with God’s graciousness, provision and kindness provided through you. Thank you!
Here are just some quick highlights of 2016:
- Serving an avg. of 20 youth/wk at our Antioch nights
- Several special events with area youth throughout the year
- Successful launch of our Teen Alpha program
- Sharing the Gospel and praying with over 500 of our neighbors through our weekly outreaches and special events
- Meeting practical needs for food, housing, clothing, for several neighbors
- Partnership with about a dozen local churches for our Summer long Salt and Light Campaign (daily prayer and outreach to the city)
- Establishing discipleship groups for men
- Coordinated prayer efforts for days of fasting and prayer in the community
- 810 Open House: construction completed Oct 2016
We could not do any of this without your prayers, encouragement and financial support. Thank You!
I received one of the best notes of my life this past week:
“Mr. Tim Ms. Miah. Thank you for teaching me about God and the Bible. You’re the coolest.”
I don’t know this young man’s full story; but I’ve heard enough to know he’s been through more pain and heartache at 10 than I want to ever experience. He told me he goes to bed thinking about our Bible stories and has been trying some of the prayers we’ve been talking about. I know Jesus is a healer and can make all things new; and I want to keep contending for this young one’s life and for the lives of our other neighbors. Jesus makes all things new and restores what has been broken.
Revelation 21 puts it this way: “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
This is what Miah and I pray for. We want the Kingdom of God to be made known in the hearts of our neighbors, and have them experience Jesus wiping tears from their eyes.
Thanksgiving: meeting felt needs
We were able to partner with Cru this year to provide “Boxes of Love” to several of our neighbors. Each box contained a Thanksgiving meal and the Gospel. I was blessed to have several volunteers step up to help out with the packing and distribution.
One of the boxes in particular opened doors of opportunity to talk with a neighboring family more. We spent an evening driving around picking up a couple other things they needed and got to share more of our life stories together. Other neighbors come every so often asking for butter or sugar or eggs or milk, small things that let us know we’re neighbors; not just ‘ministers.’ It’s been an honor to share our lives with our community, particularly during the Holiday season. We continue to pray that we would be the “aroma of Christ” and that our lives and speech would direct others into a reconciled relationship with our Loving God.
As we look forward to 2017, we also have some immediate needs:
- Financial support: we have raised about half of what we need to live (rent, food, ect). We are hopeful to find another 20 supporters this Winter. Would you consider becoming a 1 time or monthly supporter? All giving is tax deductible and can be made online at www.damascusway.com
- Furniture: the furniture at our Antioch home has become pretty worn out and needs to be replaced. If you know anyone that could help out with sectional couches, futons, chairs, ect; we’d love to be put in touch with them.
- Volunteers: We plan on adding another day of after school programming at the 810 house this year. Would you consider becoming a volunteer? We are planning for Tuesdays from 2-5pm.
Other ways to help:
Miah has started her own oil business: www.ezeroil.com She’s always loved health and spends hours researching natural remedies. Ezer is the Hebrew word for ‘helper’. We believe these oils and perfumes will help maintain, restore, and bring joy to your body. She makes all her own products naturally (braid spray, face oil, perfumes), and puts her love and passion in to each bottle. The website is still under construction, so if you can’t find what you want or are looking for a better deal, just give us a call or email;)
Pray: we are still looking for more intercessors who will commit to pray for us on a regular basis.
Give: become a financial partner of the ministry.
A Look Into Our Neighborhood [stats]:
We are working towards building a sustainable Kingdom network to break cycles of pain in our community. Did you know that in North Minneapolis:
- We are 50% African American, 25% white, and 25% other (Native American, Lao, Hmong, Hispanic) [State wide, African Americans are 6% of the population]
- The current unemployment rate for African Americans in our community is 29% (statewide, they are 3-4 times more likely to be unemployed than others)
- 37% of the states prison population is African American
- 42% of our families live in poverty
- 65% of our families are ‘cost burdened renters’
What does the Gospel look like in a community like this? Part of what I feel God is leading us in to is to be an agent of change. I would like to ask the Holy Spirit for wisdom and insight in to how to break these cycles of brokeness, and to lead the next generation into healing and wholeness found in Jesus Christ.
I’ll write more about this in the coming year, but I believe the answer is found in 2 Timothy 2:2 “And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others.”
The discipleship model for the 810 house is based on 2-3 individuals at a time, surrounded by a Body of encouragement and resources, learning to make Christ Lord in every area of their life. Upon graduation, each individual would receive portions of their rent back in order to re-invest it in Kingdom purposes for the community. They begin teaching and training others in their own home and the cycle continues.
More to come in 2017. In closing, we just want to thank each of you so much for your encouragement and dedication to our family. Each letter, comment, and gift mean more than you know. May God bless your Christmas and give you a very happy New Year!
2811 Fremont Ave N
Mpls, MN 55411